KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Questions remain on wide receiver De’Anthony Thomas’ status after the Chiefs placed the second-year pro on the non-football illness list Thursday.
But coach Andy Reid made one very important factor clear after Friday’s practice.
“It is not concussion-related,” Reid said. “I just have to leave it at that and just no further questions on it.”
While Reid did field a question whether Thomas could return in 2016, the coach’s response offered a blurry forecast.
“I really don’t know on that,” Reid said. “That would be a (general manager John) Dorse(y) question. I just fed you the information I know.”
The 5-8, 176-pound Thomas suffered a concussion in Week 11, and then went on to miss four straight games while in the NFL’s concussion protocol.
He returned to a full practice leading to Week 16, but was a surprise inactive against the Cleveland Browns. Reid said after the game Thomas was inactive because of a “personal issue.”
The Chiefs now have an open spot on the 53-man roster, but no moves have been made to fill it as of early Friday afternoon.
“There hasn’t been so far,” Reid said. “We’ll see how that rolls.”
Herbie Teope is the lead Chiefs beat writer for ChiefsDigest.com and The Topeka Capital-Journal. Use the contact page to reach him or find him on Twitter: @HerbieTeope.