Tyreek Hill Cleared to Return as NFL Closes Investigation With No Suspension

Jul 29, 2018; St. Joseph, MO, USA; Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver Tyreek Hill (10) runs the ball during training camp at Missouri Western State University.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – The NFL on Friday cleared the path for Tyreek Hill to return to the Chiefs, closing a four-month investigation after it could not conclude the receiver violated the league's Personal Conduct Policy.

“Accordingly, he may attend Kansas City's training camp and participate in all club activities,” the statement read. “He has been and will continue to be subject to conditions set forth by the District Court, Commissioner Goodell, and the Chiefs, which include clinical evaluation and therapeutic intervention.”

The Chiefs less than an hour later issued a statement they were lifting the club's indefinite suspension on Hill.

"We are glad to welcome Tyreek back to the team and look forward to the start of training camp next week," the club's statement read.

Hill also issued a statement on Twitter, refuting the allegations made against him.

"The last few months have been very difficult for me, especially as a father," Hill wrote. "The false allegations originally reported in March were highly publicized and involved the care of my son. I am grateful for so many things and grateful for so many people who have supported me during this challenging time. I fully resect and accept the NFL's decision."

In the statement, Hill thanked the Chiefs, fans, friends and family along with the NFLPA, the league and commissioner Roger Goodell.

"Thank you for your time and for conducting a thorough investigation," Hill wrote. I will not let you down."

The investigation opened in March after Johnson County authorities probed child abuse allegations at Hill's residence that he shared with his former fiancee, Crystal Espinal, and their three-year old son. That investigation included an eight-hour interview with Hill in Kansas City last month. Espinal reportedly declined to participate in the investigation.

The statement echoed comments made by Goodell that the league wished to avoid interfering with the county's investigation or “compromise the privacy or welfare of the child in any way.”

The league also says it did not receive any details from Johnson County investigators or the state's Department for Children and Families.

“The information developed in the court proceeding is confidential and has not been shared with us, and the court has sealed all law enforcement records,” the statement read. “Local law enforcement authorities have publicly advised that the available evidence does not permit them to determine who caused the child's injuries.”

Johnson County District Attorney Steve Howe declined to press charges in the case in April. But the public perception of the investigation changed a day later when portions of an audio of conversation recorded by Espinal without Hill's knowledge became public. The Chiefs opted to exclude Hill from all team activities while it conducted a further investigation.

The team's statement indicated they concurred with the league's findings.

"The club fully supports the conditions for return laid out by the league and will continue to monitor any new developments in the case," the statement read.

While the league closed the door on the investigation for now, it was not a complete exoneration for Hill. The statement indicated that “based on the evidence presently available, the NFL cannot conclude that Mr. Hill violated the Personal Conduct Policy,” while leaving the door open if more details become available.

“If further information becomes available through law enforcement, the pending court proceeding, or other sources, we will promptly consider it and take all appropriate steps at that time.”